Eddie Hearn Claims Andy Ruiz Jr. Never Contacted Him To Try And Make Anthony Joshua Trilogy
Eddie Hearn revealed Andy Ruiz Jr. never reached out to try and step up on short notice to face Anthony Joshua.
Joshua was set to rematch Dillian Whyte on Saturday but it was revealed Whyte was pulled from the fight after testing positive for a banned substance. After some time trying to land an opponent, Hearn found one as Joshua will now box Robert Helenius on Saturday.
“You go into the wild west of who wants it, who doesn’t,” Hearn said to Talk Sport. “We wanted someone credible, who would come to fight, who we could do a deal with at pace. He’s had big wins and got chinned by Wilder. He boxed on Saturday and got a knockout.”
During the time in which Anthony Joshua needed an opponent, Andy Ruiz Jr. did take to social media to say now was the time for the trilogy.
Of course, Ruiz Jr. stepped up on short notice back in 2019 and scored a massive upset TKO win to become the new champ. He lost an immediate rematch by decision and since then, there hasn’t been much talk of a rematch, and Hearn said Ruiz Jr. never actually reached out to try and make the fight.
“Andy Ruiz put a tweet out but never contacted us. He would have probably wanted 10 mill. [Helenius] has had two good wins on pay-per-view in the US, he can punch a bit and is a credible fighter,” Hearn said. “We are taking the fight off PPV and the financial difference for AJ is astounding but he wanted to fight. We all wanted to see the Dillian Whyte fight.
Although the trilogy won’t happen with Andy Ruiz Jr., Anthony Joshua will now box Robert Helenius on Saturday in London, England.
Do you wish Andy Ruiz Jr. replaced Dillian Whyte against Anthony Joshua?